...meandering thoughts and a reminder to myself that a mundane day can be just as beautiful as a spectacular one.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Life in France

Just finished reading My Life in France by Julia Child.
I'm not a cook at all.  So, I wasn't sure how I would like a book mostly about cooking.
I loved it!  Julia Child is so cool.


I liked the stories of Julia and her husband Paul traveling the world.
The Childs could never quite get their Christmas cards out in time.
So, I think it's fabulous that the Childs made Valentine's Day cards their thing.
I have the very same problem!  I always buy Christmas cards way early and somehow
procrastinate long enough to where it's just too late to mail them out.
Here's my favorite card they card they made.  


Julia's Stellar Advice 

"I don't believe in twisting yourself into 
knots of excuses and explanations over the food you make."

"Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. 
And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine 
surely were, then the cook must simply girt her teeth 
and bear it with a smile-and learn from her mistakes."

"This is my invariable advice to people. Learn how to cook-try new recipes,
learn from you mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!"

2 Tid-Bits I Found Interesting
  1. Judith Jones was Julia Child's editor.  Judith Jones is also the person who got Anne Frank:The Diary of a Young Girl published.
  2. Julia Child said there were more redheads per square meter in Norway than anywhere else she had ever been.



No comments:

Post a Comment