...meandering thoughts and a reminder to myself that a mundane day can be just as beautiful as a spectacular one.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Anna Karenina



via Fanpop
I don't remember what movie the mister and I were at the theater for,
but I do remember seeing a preview for the new Anna Karenina movie.
It looked so beautiful in the previews, I knew I had to read the book
and then go see the beautiful masterpiece.  

via Fanpop
My goal was to see the movie in the theater.  But, the book
took me ages to read. I had trouble figuring out all the names. Most
of the characters went by several different names.  Also, Russian 
names are so different from American ones.  So, I found a character
list and printed it out and kept it with the book.  It was a huge help.
I found out later that my father-in-law did the same thing when reading
another Tolstoy classic, War and Peace, so I didn't feel so bad. 

 

After months of persistence, 
and just after the movie was released on DVD,
I finally finished reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
I began reading the above vintage copy of the book that
I received as a gift from my Aunt Edie.
When I started the read, the book was still in one piece.
But, before I could finish, the poor book began to fall apart.
Luckily I was able to repair it just enough to finish reading.

 I'm really happy I read the book before seeing the movie.
I'm not sure that I would totally get what was happening in
the movie if I hadn't.

The film was gorgeous.
It was very stylized and a lot of the movie took
place on stage.  I've never seen film quite like it.
There was a dance number that was simply breathtaking.
Just magical.  My heart fluttered several
times in the course of the film.

via Fanpop
...and Keira Knightly is probably one of the 
very few actors that can
pull off playing the complex role of Anna.

via Fanpop
Romantic and tragic -
no wonder it's such a classic
and is still around today.








No comments:

Post a Comment