...meandering thoughts and a reminder to myself that a mundane day can be just as beautiful as a spectacular one.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Great Gatsby

My brother and I went on a date to see
The Great Gatsby in 3D.  (Thank goodness because
I'd never be able to convince the mister to see it.)

I'm in love with this movie.  I'm always a sucker for Baz Luhrmann films
with all their glitz and glamour.  I wish I could live in his films.  Don't you?

But, right after this movie my brother was going on and on about
how distracting the 3D was.  I couldn't figure out what he was complaining about.
He was like yeah, the text popping off the screen and the water in the fountain
splashing out all the time...
Then, it hit me.  All these years I've been paying extra to see 3D movies
and I can't even see in 3D.  How embarrassing!  Seriously, how
could I have never noticed?  I never quite understood the hype for 3D movies.
Now, I know why.  For some reason, I was thinking 3D meant hi-def.  Without the 
magic glasses, the movie was fuzzy.  But, with the magic glasses it was crystal clear.
Think of all the money I've wasted over the years.  I'm still quite shocked.

Now, back to the movie.  Such a classic love story with yet another tragic ending.
Something about a gut-wrenching finale really does it for me.  The best love
stories are tragic.  Mr. DiCaprio really pulled off Gatsby.  What girl i
in their right mind wouldn't love to be Daisy?  And the scenery in the film-the flowers,
the fashion, the diamonds, the candles, the sequins and glitter-
again, wish I could just live this movie with all it's decadence. 
Thank you Baz Luhrmann for another utterly romantic and memorable film.
I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that my rock star crush, Jack White contributed
to the soundtrack with "Love is Blindness" - and it's utterly torturous in it's beauty.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment